44-gun frigate "Aurora" history

POINT.gif (688 bytes)

   

  It was laid down in the Okhta dockyard on November 23, 1833. Amosov was a shipbuilder of the frigate. The frigate was launched on July 27, 1835. It was included in the Baltic fleet. The ship had 56 guns on the board. In 1836 it sailed in the Baltic sea and on July 3 at Kronstadt roadstead it participated in a ceremonial meeting of Peter the Great boat by the Baltic fleet. From 1837 till 1843 annually the frigate, having become a part of Admiral Litke detachment, sailed in the Baltic Sea for a practice of General Admiral, The Great Price Konstantin Nikolaevich.

    In 1844 the frigate sailed to England and in 1845 it was at a practical navigation in the Finnish Gulf. The ship participated in a travel of the Baltic fleet to the Danish waters. On May 23, 1848 it departed from Revel for Denmark coast to strengthen Admiral Epanchin 3-d division located nearby Man Island. Together with the division it cruised near the entrance to the Small Belt strait, near Rugen and Man Islands. On August 22 it left the Danish waters and returned to Kronstadt on August 1. In 1849 it stayed in Kronstadt port. It was timbered in Kronstadt in 1851. In 1852 the frigate was at a practical navigation in the Finnish Gulf. On August 21, 1853 the frigate departed from Kronstadt for the Far East at a following route: Copenhagen – Portsmouth – Rio-de-Janeiro – Horn Cape – Kaliao and on June 19, 1854 it arrived to Petropavlovsk port. The way was very difficult, the frigate weathered hard storms in the Northern Sea (after that it was repaired at Portsmouth docks) and near Horn cape and in the Pacific ocean. 8 sailors died, 35 sailors were hard ill.

    The frigate participated in the Crimea war on 1853 – 1856. Due to the information about the war beginning and since there had been started the actions to defense a city, the frigate was placed in the heart of bay besides Koshka spit by port side to the entrance. The starboard side guns were dismounted and given to the land troops, a part of crew was located at the coast as a reserve of garrison to resist to an enemy landing. On August 20 and 24 the frigate resisted to the storm of Petropavlovsk port by an English-French squadron and was seriously damaged: a shot punched a grot-mast, rigging was broken, and the guns were damaged. On April 6 the ‘Aurora’ took passengers and cargoes (in connection with evacuation of Petropavlovsk port) and being a part of Admiral Zavoiko squadron it left the port. On May 1 the frigate came to De-Kastri Gulf and upon seeing the English-French squadron it prepared for a battle, but the enemy left away. On June 22 the frigate entered to Amur mouth where it was located till the end of the war.

    On July 4, 1856, being completely armed and loaded the ‘Aurora’ left Amur mouth. On October 9 it sailed from Lasarev cape to Russia at a route: De-Kastri Gulf – Korean strait– Hong Kong – Singapore – Zond strait – Cape of Good Hope – St.Helena Island – Sherbur – Copenhagen and on June 11, 1857 it arrived to Kronstadt, the travel around the world was finished. The return way from the Far East was not less difficult than way there, during the storms in the Japanese Sea, Indian and Atlantic Oceans heel was more than 40 degrees. On April 8, 1861 the frigate was deleted from the list of ships of the Baltic Fleet and sold for scrap.


Russian Shipmodel Gallery 
192102, Salova str. 64, St-Petersburg, Russia
phone +7-812-967-4332,  fax : +7-812-325-5740
e-mail : ippoint@yandex.ru